Colleges and universities
Public (a partial list)
- Zhengzhou University (郑州大学)8
- Henan University (河南大学)9
- Henan Normal University(河南师范大学)10
- Henan Agricultural University (河南农业大学) (founded 1913)
- Henan College of Traditional Chinese Medicine(河南中医学院)
- Henan University of Science and Technology
- Huanghe Science and Technology University (黄河科技学院)
- North China Institute of Water Conservancy and Hydroelectric Power (华北水利水电学院)
- Shangqiu Normal Teacher's College(商丘师范学院)
- Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management (郑州航空工业管理学院)
- Zhengzhou University of Light Industry (郑州轻工业学院)
- Zhongyuan Institute of Technology (中原工学院)
CultureDemonstrating Kung Fu at Daxiangguo Monastery, Kaifeng, Henan.
Most of Henan speaks dialects of the Mandarin group of dialects, which are spoken in both northern and southwestern China. Linguists place these dialects into the category of "Zhongyuan Mandarin." The northwestern corner of Henan is an exception to this, as the people there tend to speak Jin dialects instead. The dialects of Henan are collectively called "the Henan dialect" in popular usage, with easily identifiable and stereotypical features.
Henan opera (Yuju) is the local form of Chinese opera, and it is also famous and popular across the rest of China. Henan Quju and Henan Yuediao are other important local opera forms.
Henan cuisine is also well-known, with traditions such as the Luoyang Shuixi (Luoyang "Water Table," (consisting entirely of various soups and broths), Xinyang Duncai (Xinyang brewed vegetables), and the traditional cuisine of Kaifeng.
Important traditional art and craft products include: Junci, a type of porcelain originating in Yuzhou, which is noted for its unpredictable color patterns, the jade carvings of Zhenping, and Luoyang's Tangsancai ("Tang Three Colours"), which are earthenware figurines made in the traditional style of the Tang Dynasty.
Interestingly, three of ancient China's four great inventions, the magnetic compass, paper, and gunpowder, were all originally invented in Henan.
Professional sports teams in Henan include:
- Chinese Basketball Association
- Henan Dragons
- Chinese Football Association Jia League
- Henan Jianye
TourismLongmen Grottoes (Mount Longmen), Luoyang, Henan.
Henan is located in the Yellow River valley, in a place where the people of ancient China grew and developed. This has allowed it to become one of the most important cultural areas in all of China, and has provided it with a sizable number of tourist sites. Three of the Seven Ancient Capitals of China are located in Henan, including: Luoyang, Kaifeng and Anyang. In addition to this, the remains of some of the earliest human settlements have been unearthed here, including the over 7000-year-old Peiligang Culture Site, the 6000-year-old Yangshao Culture Remains, and the 5000-year-old Dahe Culture Remains.
Due to its long and storied history, Henan is one of the provinces which has the most historical artifacts and relics in the entire country. There are 16 national and 267 provincial protection units for historical relics, and the Henan museum houses 120,000 historical relics, including over 40,000 rare ones.Gaocheng Astronomical Observatory.
The Longmen Grottoes, located near the city of Luoyang, was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000, and is famous for its majestic beauty and large collection of Chinese Buddhist sculptures and statues. Luoyang is well known as the home of the White Horse Temple.
Kaifeng, one of the ancient capitals of Henan, also contains many outstanding tourist sites, including the Iron Pagoda (Tie Ta) of the Northern Song Dynasty, the Dragon Pavilion (Long Ting), (the site of the imperial palace of the Song and Jin dynasties), and the 1,400-year-old Xiangguo Temple, which is one of the most famous Buddhist temples in all of China.
Some other notable sites located in Henan include:
- Gaocheng Astronomical Observatory, the oldest astronomical observatory in China.
- Mount Jigong, on the southern border.
- Mount Song, near Dengfeng, one of the Five Sacred Mountains of China.
- Shaolin Temple, on Mount Song.
- Songyue Pagoda
- Yinxu in Anyang, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Two important railway arteries, the Jingguang Railway (which connects Beijing to Guangzhou) and the Longhai Railway (which connects Lianyungang to Lanzhou), pass through Henan and cross at Zhengzhou, the provincial capital. The Jingjiu Railway (connecting Beijingto Kowloon) also passes through Henan.
With the recent completion of the Zhengzhou to Xinxiang expressway, a continuous highway now crosses Henan from north to south, as part of a longer line linking Beijing with Shenzhen. Another expressway crosses Henan from east to west, and more are being built as the province continues to grow.
Xinzheng Airport in the capital city of Zhengzhou is the province's main airport, with a designed annual handling capacity of six million passengers and 30,000 tons of freight. This makes it one of the ten largest airports in China, and one which also serves in an important role as an alternate hub for Beijing's international airport.
- Christensen, Erleen J. 2005. In war and famine: missionaries in China's Honan Province in the 1940s. Montréal: McGill-Queen's University Press. ISBN 9780773528536
- Des Forges, Roger V. 2003. Cultural centrality and political change in Chinese history northeast Henan in the fall of the Ming. Stanford, Calif: Stanford University Press. ISBN 9780804740449
- Knapp, Ronald G. 1992. Chinese landscapes the village as place. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. ISBN 9780824814137
Puyang | Sanmenxia | Shangqiu | Xinxiang | Xinyang | Xuchang | Zhengzhou | Zhoukou | ZhumadianSub-prefecture-level cities:Jiyuan